This is one of the few techniques I recommend because it focuses on facing and embracing every emotion. I use this with clients to help them with their top layer emotions such as their justifications and reasons for resisting. I’ve found this to be super powerful for these top layers.
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is a simple yet very powerful method of releasing disturbing emotions, emotional traumas, physical aches and pains as well as understanding the core emotion. Scientific studies have shown that EFT has rapidly and effectively reduced the emotional impact of ‘memories’ stored in the cells of our body. Once the ’emotional memory’ is reduced or released then the body is able to rebalance itself and accelerate healing. EFT is done by gently tapping certain energy points (acupuncture points) while focusing on the traumatic memory / emotional disturbance.
1. Choose a problem area / disturbing emotion to work on.
2. Assess/name the feeling/emotions, the clearer you are regarding what you feel the quicker you will find relief.
3. Give the complaint a number on a scale of 0-10, 0=no pain/ complaint, 10= maximum pain/severity
4. Start tapping on the points, either randomly or in a sequence stating how you truly feel, below are some starting statements to support you to get going:
Step 1 Acknowledging Statements:
Step 2 Reframing Statements:
5. Take three deep breaths and center yourself.
6. Check the intensity of the complaint with the 0-10 scale, it should go down. If the complaint does not want to go down, this is because your subconscious mind is resisting the change. Start the next round of EFT stating:
“Even though I don’t want to get over / Even though I am resisting this because …………(give your reason)…………………………… I still chose to give myself the permission to heal & integrate that part of me…. (you can include: that is resisting the change)”
Play around with the statements, after doing it a few times you will feel more comfortable and confident with EFT. Although I don’t personally use this technique anymore, in the past, I’ve had incredible breakthroughs for myself and while working with clients with EFT. It’s a fantastic tool when you feel stuck, are resisting, judging or struggling to sit and feel the emotion.
To learn more about EFT from the Founder Gary Craig click here. There are also hundreds of videos on YouTube where you can tap along focusing on different topics.